I love the scriptures.
I've continued my studies in Alma, and have been reading about Moroni (who totally rules) and Amalickiah (who makes me want to punch in his face!) This is like the best book I've ever read. The Book of Mormon is so cool! I would read it all day if I could, but that wouldn't be very productive. :) If only we could all be like Moroni... (Alma 48:17)
We had a good week. We had a lesson with Hurl (ya, that's his real name) and he is super nice and great. Our ward mission leader and his wife came with us-which was a huge help and brought the spirit in so strongly! He said he would come to church (but he didn't) but its okay - because we are having HOPE.
I taught the lesson principle in our district meeting about hope this week. It seemed to go okay. I found two different talks by Elder Maxwell about hope. Elder Maxwell is the coolest guy ever. I like him like I like Truman G. Madsen. (a lot). So great. Anyway, he said a really great thing, quoting Tolkien in Return of the King, "It is not our part to master the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherin we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they have is not ours to rule." (Yes, I just quoted Lord of the Rings). Isn't that great though? It is true! And we can apply it to our lives every day.
We had a great lesson with Jerry, and a member came with us so we could actually sit down and teach. We talked about the Plan of Salvation, and invited him to pray about it. We also talked about baptism and asked him to pray if March 4th would be the day that Heavenly Father wants him to be baptized. Yay!! We checked up with him a few days ago, and he said he prayed about the Plan of Salvation and felt really good and peaceful about it, but forgot to pray about a baptismal date. So, Jerry is really great, and a bachelor. We walked into his house to see that he had neatly decorated his walls with pictures: old presidents, and moon landings, but also with other things - mostly wrappers of candy, can labels, and cereal and soda boxes, but also some coupons, and a picture of Jesus and Mary Magdalene he ripped out of the pamphlet we had given him. I'm sorry, but it was soooo funny! The walls were completely covered! I didn't laugh until afterwards, but it was a teensy bit strange. We also got to meet Sparkles and Baby more personally, and he told us they are both boys. Love my life!!!!
We found a new investigator named Kristen. She used to meet with the sister missionaries probably 2 years ago. She seems really depressed about life, but wants more and is looking for a church that can bring that to her. We invited her this Sunday, and she said she would come, but didn't show. We'll try again though!!
We've stopped by Cora's house a few times, but she is never home! Stress!!! But we will keep trying and praying that she is still elect!
There was a sad tragedy that happened in Hurricane this week. A sophomore boy was his by a train when he was walking on the tracks. There were 3 elementary school buses full of kids that witnessed it, along with many many other kids. Its been quite traumatic, and lots of kids we've talked too saw the accident. So sad! The community seems to be dealing with it okay and coping well. I don't know why I told you all this, maybe because its not everyday that you hear of someone getting hit by a train. The railroad runs all the way through this town and we hear it everywhere we go; in our apartment, at peoples houses, etc. Sad.
We met with Mason, and he hadn't read from the Book of Mormon like we asked him too, so we read with him. It was so great! Then he downloaded it onto the Ipad thingy they have, and he's been reading ever since! Yay! He came to church too. Only bad thing was when we walked into their house this week, he proudly announces that he just had head lice. Oh sick. Get me away, we were so scared to even move in there! Don't worry, we didn't get it. I would die. And die even more for Sister Little who has huge curly thick long hair. Eh.
We saw JoAnn again. She has been really sick for 2 weeks, but still hasn't kept any commitments (come on JoAnn! How hard is it to watch a 20 min DVD when you are sick or read your scriptures!) So next time will really determine if she is wanting to progress or not...
Sunday was great and we had a wonderful fast and testimony meeting. Afterwards we saw Dave and Sherry! They are going to start reading the Book of Mormon, and we will discuss it next time. I can't wait! Little volunteered me to make some delish homemade oreos to take with us. So excited for our next meeting :)
We also saw Brenda, who seems to be doing okay. Rene was there and she really wants to teach me how to read crochet patterns. So excited. Oh the things you learn! She reminded me that it is important to find common ground with people, and then move to higher ground. It's very true.
Anyway, whew, that was a long email! Things are going well! I am happy and I love this work!
The Church is True!
I love you!!
Love, Sister Kayla Gunnell
No comments:
Post a Comment