Monday, March 7, 2011

Its raining, its pouring..

Huge thunder claps this morning!! Tornado warning in the neighboring county I LOVE IT!!! So rainy and windy, the best kinds of P-days!
We have had quite a busy week. Seriously. We had about 15 lessons, plus lessons with 9 less actives or recent converts. Plus many long hours of tracting in inclement weather. I'm tired. Whew!
Bad news, John C. pretty much dropped us :( he has been ignoring us for a while now and we heard he felt he was being pushed, so wont answer our phone calls. We are really sad. He is such a great guy. Its not an official drop, because we haven't heard directly from him, but we are pretty heartbroken about it.
Good news! Judy is AWESOME and being a little missionary-teaching her sister what we believe and also brought her 5 yr old grandson to church with her yesterday!! Too bad he is a Negative Nancy and didn't really like it. He's five! And has never been to church before! We don't expect him to embrace it just yet! :)
Jon is also great. He told us about his friend who he is teaching about the church. Then he says, "I'm tryin to get my first baptism!" Hahahah we laughed pretty hard. Go Jon! He passed the sacrament this week, and was pretty stoked about it.
Church yesterday was great. Although we had no current investigators there, we had SEVEN non-members/potential investigators there! It was so awesome! One was this guy we tracted into and invited him to church (no big deal, we do it all the time) and he totally shows up! So cool!
Last night, Julia taught us how to knit. AWESOME LIFE SKILL! JK, but really, I love knitting. But mostly, I love Julia.
Sister Durfee and I have been having some really great studies (personal and companionship). So you should always read her blog, cause she teaches really good sermons about good stuff :) (she might punch me for saying that, but its true!).
We were talking in Sunday School yesterday about how we come to church every week to "feed" our spiritual bodies. I have been studying a lot about "bodies" from the scriptures, so I was thinking, "hmmm.... we always want to feed our spiritual bodies, so we should want our spiritual bodies to be morbidly obese!" Right? If we are constantly doing what we should and our spiritual bodies are always feasting, that is good! And they should be huge and rolly! But then I thought, "no..there needs to be balance in all things. We cannot focus our entire life on feeding our spiritual bodies, or we'd turn into one of those really weird seminary teachers..." So, I came to the conclusion, that just like our physical bodies, need to eat and exercise to be healthy, our spiritual bodies need to eat by coming to church, feasting on the words of Christ, and praying. They need exercise by us acting on what we learn. Faith without works is dead. So we need to serve others, fulfill our callings, and truly practice what we preach, by going out and living what we know! Then we can be Spiritually fed, and Spiritually fit. Wahah! I hope that insight makes sense to you, because it totally does for me :)
Tracting Funnies:
  • A really big guy with spiky hair tromps outside his front door on the porch with us, and said, "I'm up to my bum in alligators!" (he didn't say bum). Then he says, "Can we agree that Islam is evil?" I said, "uh.. I don't think anyone is evil." (meaning you can't generalize people like that) and he says, "no, no, not the people, but the religion. Islam is Satan's church. Can we agree?" We both look at him with confused looks and he says, "Lets say a prayer." And says some weird prayer for the Islam people. It was our last door of the day, love when it ends on such a strange note. (PS I don't think he ever gave us a chance to even introduce ourselves!)
  • Tracting an apartment complex and this college-aged kid opens the door in nothing but his boxers eating chicken. We give our little intro, and he's like, "Oh! Let me get some clothes on!" So then he comes outside, fully clothed, and we give him our schpeal again, "Hi! We're missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! What we do as missionaries, is we go around and we share messages with people about some of the things that have blessed our lives. Do you think you would ever be interested in hearing more about our church?" He is listening intently and nodding his head, and says, "Oh! Well thank you for the blessing!" ......Uh.... you didn't answer the question buddy... Then Sister D offers him a Book of Mormon and he says, "Oh! Thank you! I have got tons of these! From all different religions!" and he turns around and goes inside. We both turned around with the blankest expressions we could ever muster and seriously didn't say or do anything for about 30 seconds- trying to figure out what just happened. Funny!
  • Last the best of all the game!! We rotate who talks at each door, and this door is Sister Durfee's. She knocks, and we stand there. Then the door wooshes open and this giant of a man who is very tall and wide with very prominent cross-eyes opens it. Sister Durfee seriously just stands there, opened mouthed, and doesn't say a word. I am looking at her, like, "hello! speak!" and she says nothing. So I saved the day and talked, he wasn't interested, closes the door. Sister Durfee's like, "I'm sorry! I don't even know what just happened. I didn't know if he was looking at me, or at you, and I just froze! I wasn't scared or anything!" Wahahahahah I laughed pretty hard about that one.
Thing are going really well! I still love Buckhannon and everything about being a missionary.
The Church is True! I love you!
Love, Sister Kayla Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment