Monday, January 17, 2011

Once again, another crazy week....

Let me preface this email by saying, I usually like snow-but now I do not like snow. I wish it would all melt away and never come back. We've had so many car troubles because of the snow. I do not like it, Sam I am.
On Tuesday evening we were driving home from a member's who lives about 30 minutes away. The roads were fine on the way there, but on the way home... have you ever heard of something called a blizzard? Not the kind from Dairy Queen! Ya. Scary. We were slippity-slidding the whole way home, driving 5 mph without knowing where we were. Never been so scared driving in my life!!! It took us about an hour and a half to get home. We were definitely blessed and protected. There was always another car in front of us to follow, or else we wouldn't have been able to see anything! We got home and the next morning, still a blizzard. Mission snow day!! Wednesday we were able to just laze around and clean our house, play games, take naps, etc. We were able to do some planning and make phone calls, so that was good. That 'day of rest' was definitely needed. So tired!! This winter weather makes life much more exhausting.
Last night was another fond adventure going into my mission memories scrapbook. Not so fond in the moment. Driving to an appointment, we have a member with us (Megan, who is in the Young Women's). We're going to see Shawn, who lives up a gigantic hill. We've made it up the hill before, lots of times. I gun it, and make it seriously like 80% of the way up. Then we slide. Backwards. Into a ditch. Great. We try to ride the ditch. Backwards. Down the hill. We get stuck. Really stuck. Luckily Megan's dad is a cop and was on duty that night. He came up to "access the situation" and called his buddy with a tractor and chain. We waited and waited. Freezing. So Megan's dad (who is actually Dwayne, Donto's brother) takes us in a little ride in his Sheriff vehicle. It was kind of fun actually. Best part of it was: cops + donuts = free at the Donut Shop! Wooohoo! So we got delish donuts and ate them, while he showed us pictures of crime scenes on his digital camera. Awesome night. Dwayne's friend, luckily lives really close to where we were (like less than a mile) and he tugged that car right out of the ditch! Never driving anywhere again. Never. Okay, maybe I will. But I do not like the snow. (PS our car is totally fine. Just needs a car wash :)
Things are going well. Jon G. is progressing a lot and is still set on his baptism date of Feb. 5th. We always have lots of fun in his lessons.
Judy is not progressing. She drank coffee again and didn't come to church. We moved her baptism to Feb. 5th also. I really hope she can make it, but ultimately it is her decision and we can't force her to make that covenant. It is between her and our Father in Heaven. It can be so frustrating at times for us. love Judy so much! I know that it is all in the Lord's time.
We met with Julia who informed us that, "I am Methodist. I have always been Methodist, and I don't plan on ever changing that." Total bummer. I love Julia too! Patience is a virtue...
Elayne still isn't budging either. She believes everything we do, she just wants to stay a "non-denominational" Christian...
Missionary work can be hard!
We had some interesting meals this week:
1) canned deer meat battered and fried. Eh, it was alright.
2) Biscuits and gravy. Yes, I love biscuits and gravy, the gravy was the interesting part. Chocolate gravy. Loved it. So delicious. Tasted like hot, mushy cake. Mmm mmm.
I really do love being a missionary, especially here in West Virginia. The gospel is such a blessing.
There is this one line from a song on a CD we always listen to, which gives me a better understanding of the Atonement. It goes like this: "Mistakes of the past don't define you, they refine you." I love that. Remember it.
The Church is True! I love you!
Love, Sister Kayla Gunnell

No comments:

Post a Comment